Thursday, March 28, 2013

Blessings

Holy Thursday - http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/032813-evening-mass-lords-supper.cfm

As we head into this years Sacred Triduum and tonight the institution of the Eucharist, there is much for us to reflect upon. In today's readings for the Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper, there's one line in the Book of Exodus that struck a chord on me, and it pretty much sets up the foundation for me today, "You shall eat it like those who are in flight." (Ex 12:11) and suddenly I asked myself, "Am I too comfortable in this life?", "Am I losing my ultimate goal of attaining heaven and being with my Beloved when my time has come?".

There are 365 days in a year, different liturgical seasons in our church calendar, but for me it culminates and it points to this one moment in our history. The passion, death and resurrection of our Lord. It's ok to be joyful, but for me on the most holiest and most solemn days of Lent, I commemorate these days as if I am in flight, like the people in Exodus. This is the time for us Catholics with great boldness to declare that as we enter into the re-presentation of Christ in Calvary in the Holy Eucharist, we are to feel and believe even for just these few days that we are there with Christ in Calvary. As we participate in the mass in these last days of Lent, when we behold our Beloved Savior in the Eucharist and as we partake of His body and Blood, let us close our eyes and bring ourselves back in time to that solemn moment when Jesus died for us on the cross. And there dwell in His most glorious wounds, and fall upon our knees in the depths of our soul and venerate the cross.

As my day go by, a song came up to my listening station entitled "Blessings" by Laura Story, and thought of how I sometimes I fail to see the simplest of God's blessings in my life. And that, if I fail to see the most simplest of the blessings, how am I to see the most profound blessings. I only tend to look at the present moment, when God sees eternity. I complain when there are hard times, grumble if I don't get healing, argue with God when prayers don't get answered. But as the song says:

"Cause what if Your blessings come through rain drops, what if Your healing comes through tears, what if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near. What if the greatest disappointments or the aching of this life is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy. What if the trials of this life, the rain, the storms, the hardest nights, are you mercies in disguise."

I invite you to listen to the song, and let the message penetrate your heart, so that the simplest of blessings will lead us to see the most profound blessing of all, Jesus dying for us on the cross.



We adore thee O Christ and we praise thee, because by Your Holy Cross, you have redeemed the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment