Friday, February 15, 2013

Is Judas in heaven or hell?


A couple of weeks ago, I had an interesting discussion with a good friend of mine. He was a former protestant minister, who came back home to the Catholic church because of the eucharist. His argument was, if Gods mercy is always expanding, then we cannot dogmatically say that Judas, the one who betrayed Jesus, could possibly be in eternal damnation, because he went back to the chief priests trying to give back the money and saying that he betrayed innocent blood.

Before responding to him, two verses came into my head, "It would be better for that man if he had never been born" (Matthew 26:24) and "Let his encampment become desolate" (Acts 1:20). And I told him, that the key to answering Judas' fate is by looking at Peter. Both of them betrayed Jesus, one ended up in self-destruction and the other to redemption. So at this point, I pretty much condemned Judas based on the scripture verses that I mentioned. Here's the interesting part...little did I know that I was presuming Gods judgement. I was taking it upon myself to cast judgement on Judas' actions.

Jimmy Akin on his article regarding the fate of Judas explains it very well: "Jesus' choice to make Judas an apostle "darkens the mystery around his eternal fate, knowing that Judas repented and brought back the 30 pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders, saying "I have sinned in betraying innocent blood" (Mt 27:3-4). Even though he went to hang himself (Mt 27:5), it is not up to us to judge his gesture, substituting ourselves for the infinitely merciful and just God."

Lastly, let me share a short story about Padre Pio revealing Gods mercy. A mother whos son comitted suicide by jumping off the bridge came to Padre Pio and asked (I'm paraphrasing), "Padre Pio, where is my son? In heaven or hell?" He answered, "Do not worry, he's in heaven". Surprised by Padre Pio's answer, she asks, "How come?". He answered, "Because he repented between the bridge and the water".

So you see, God is merciful that even the slightest hint of repentance is acceptable to Him, He looks straight into our hearts. And looking into our hearts, do we clearly see a conscience that is worthy of Gods mercy or justice? The prophet Isaiah indicates how our repentance and fasting can be empty:

"Would that today you might fast so as to make your voice heard on high! Is this the manner of fasting I wish, of keeping a day of penance: That a man bow his head like a reed and lie in sackcloth and ashes? Do you call this a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD? This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; Setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke; Sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless; Clothing the naked when you see them, and not turning your back on your own. Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your wound shall quickly be healed; Your vindication shall go before you, and the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard. Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer, you shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am!" (Isaiah 58:5-9)

So is Judas in heaven or in hell? My answer would be...It is not up to us to judge.

Come back to Him, Jesus loves you.



No comments:

Post a Comment