Monday, November 15, 2010

My Take on - DIY - Installing a Threadless Headset cup

To install a Threadless Headset cup you need a special tool that will press the cups into the head tube. They are not cheap. So I googled for some DIY headset installation. To make the long story short, I was off to my local home improvement store and bought the following:

1) Bolt (1 count)
2) Washers (3 different sizes on each side). I honestly did not take a note of the sizes of the washers. I just made sure that it will fit the bolt and that the nut will be able to hold them securely. Check out the picture below. Also, make sure that the biggest washer will cover the hole of the head tube for proper press.
3) Nuts (2 count)

Tools needed: Two adjustable open wrench


Before pressing the cups, I applied some light grease on the section of the cup that will go into the head tube.

I installed the top cup first then aligned the cup to the head tube making sure its straight all around, then slide the bolt in and add the washers and nuts on both ends.

In order to prevent scratches on the cups, I used a painters tape, but later on realized it doesn't hold together under pressure, so I ended up using several strips of duct tape.

It was very difficult to center and align the bolt, washers and the cup. Many times I had to re-adjust the cup by lightly hitting the washer on the edge with a hammer, and then turn the nuts again. But once its aligned, there is no issue in pressing them together.


After the top cup was installed...on to the lower cup. Make sure that the logos are aligned properly for some good looks..lol. It will make you look faster on trails...teehee!

And here it is..the cups installed! This is not an easy task, it needs a lot of patience. It took me about 45 minutes to install both cups. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Saved me tons of money! Hope you find this helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment