Saturday, November 6, 2010

My take on - DIY - Removing a bicycle headset

I started taking apart the used Jamis bike, checking for parts that are worn out. Everything seems to be in good working condition, except for the bearing race on the lower part of the headset. So I am forced to replace the headset. In order to do that I need a special tool. Headset remover is very expensive. It can cost you around 30 bucks or more. And bringing it to a local LBS will not only cost you labor, but you have to wait in line, and could take up weeks. So I looked online and found several articles on removing a headset - DIY method using copper pipe. Though I thought of copper pipe even before searching online, I can't take full credit for this.

I went to Home Depot, looking for a small piece (about 2 feet in length) of 1 inch diameter copper pipe ...and found none! The biggest diameter they have for loose/coupler copper pipe was 3/4 inch. So I had no choice and went ahead with the 3/4 inch diameter copper pipe...




I only used a small portion of the copper pipe.  Just enough for the copper to get in the head tube and extra pipe to hit with a hammer. I used a dremel tool to cut four even sides of the pipe so I can spread it outwards.
 Then sliding the uncut end of the pipe into the head tube, then push it back so that the cutted portion will rest of the headset cup on the inside.







At this point, I am ready to whack this thing out of the head tube. It only took about 3 to 4 hits with a hammer to get the headset cup out. I noticed I had to spread the copper pipe outward again on the 2nd try. I was a good feeling when it came out...cause I saved a lot of money!







And this is the head tube freed from the headset cups! Cost about 7 bucks for the copper pipe. And it took about 10 minutes to remove the headset. So there you go! Headset Removal - DIY. Copper pipe is a viable tool for removing headset, because its malleable and its cheap! Next up, installing the new headset...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment