Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Tell the Good News


Today's Reading - http://www.catholic.org/bible/daily_reading/

When I read the first reading today I am reminded of those times when I was not bold enough to profess my faith or even defend it. Inside the church, I would feel as if I'm in heaven, I soak in the Word of God and the Eucharist and the Liturgy and Music, but when I am outside and meeting people who are unbelieving and/or lacking in faith, I am subdued, just going along with the conversation and not mentioning about the treasure I found in my life. I would imagine that is how Peter and the other disciples must have been like. Take note, this is after the Pentecost when they have received the Holy Spirit. And for me, it's after my Pentecost experience as well. And so I asked myself...what am I afraid of? why can't I speak? Am I afraid of being humiliated? Am I not strong enough in my faith?

And so recently, while we were at a mall, a young man came up to me, and told me that they are doing a survey on faith. And so I said I am not interested because I am taking care of my kids, but he insisted. So I asked him, "Are you evangelizing?" and then I said "I believe in God, I believe in Jesus, I believe in Virgin Mary, the mother of God and the saints...etc.", I forgot what else I said, I felt my heart pumping and my spirit being so moved to profess my faith. And then he responded with an almost offended kind of tone..."Mary is just a woman". Then he mentioned the scripture, when Jesus mentioned "who is my mother?..." (Mark 3:33). And at this point, I feel as if all the scriptures and scholars and books I have read are all flooding into my head to my mouth. As I explained to him that Jesus wasn't disrespecting Mary at that point, but he was glorifying her and honoring her because she did the will of God (Mark 3:35). So we were going back and forth with our arguments, when another man came and said "nice to meet you" and offered to shake my hand and was trying to leave the conversation (maybe because they think I was not a so-and-so Catholic). So as a sign of good gesture, I shook his hands and then I said "But let me finish first..." and so I started explaining that part of the Scripture in context and not just the verse itself (very briefly). And then we broke off, without them saying anything in return. Little did I know...I wasn't charitable to the young man. I was very argumentative and wasn't gentle at all, because I was so offended at this young man telling that Mary was nothing but just a woman. It was at that point that I retaliated and defended my heavenly mother without showing any charity to this young man. I cannot change what happened, just as in the first reading where Peter and the disciples cannot change what happened by being afraid of the Jews at that time, but I can pray for him. I just hope that with our conversation, it helped open a door that would get him to start questioning his faith and doctrines.

So let's get back on track. The council of Jerusalem while agreeing with Paul on spreading the Gospel to the Gentiles, reminded him not to forget about the poor. And so must we, as we profess our faith in our words and/or actions, let us not forget that the best tool for evagelization is not just through words, but through action, let us reach out to the poor, whether by helping one or two or a community...start somewhere. Sponsor a child, a family, help out in soup kitchens, reach out those who are poor in spirit too, those who have problems and having difficulty in life or a friend in need of having someone to talk to.

The early Church wasn't selective of what the Holy Spirit can do for them...they did it all...from mighty deeds to simple ones...to spreading the Gospel in words and/or actions...in helping the poor...in participating in church...in praying and reading and understanding the scriptures. Let us follow their example.

O Blessed Virgin Mary, pray for us.

Jesus loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment