Monday, July 16, 2012

The last time I saw Father Ron Stanley

I may have been the last person (among our group of friends) to see Fr. Ron prior to his missions trip to Dominican Republic. So instead of trying to recall his countless works as a priest, missionary, mentor and friend, I would like to paint a picture of him when I came to visit him to drop off some donations for his last trip.

It was the 17th of May, 2012, a little over 6 pm in the afternoon. I pulled over the parking lot of the Church of Nativity in Midland Park, NJ and gave him a phone call. It turned out I was in the wrong parking lot, so I moved over to the next lot. As I pass by a renovated farmhouse adjacent to the church, he came out of the door with a big smile on his face. He was wearing a white shirt, it may have been one of those Catholic Center t-shirts. He was wearing a short, a white socks and a high-cut black boots. Around his neck was his usual mini-Cross that looks like its made out of crystal. It was hanging by a thin thread. It wasn't fancy, but when the sun hits the cross, it looks like its glowing and that is the first thing you'll notice around his neck. He had his usual clean beard (he reminds me of Bono from U2 actually), his hair was a lot more gray than the last time we saw him, but he still looks the same Fr. Ron to me. There were some visible light spots on his face, arms and legs that looks like bruises. But even with his leukemia, he didnt show any weakness, although he did mention that he gets tired easily. He brought me into the old farmhouse and introduced me to a college student who was helping him. He brought me to the basement and showed me the water barrels that he fills up with donations and afterwards they use it to collect rain water in the DR. There were still other donations lying around, but they could not fit all of them anymore. Then we went to an adjacent room where there were duffel bags and he asked me to put some of the stuff in there, and so I did. Afterwards, we went out to my car and he scoured the donations in the trunk. He was very meticulous in selecting the items, they were all new, but he picked the ones that they could use, and the smaller ones that matter the most, like pencils, erasers, wall clocks, some books, clothing...he picked the best of the bunch for the poorest of the poor. Once we all sorted it out, I gave the ones that passed the grade to the female college student with us and loaded it to her car.

I stayed for a bit because Fr. Ron wanted me and the other college student to see the house where he lives. It's funny how I worked in Mahwah for several years and I never get to see him, but now I am farther, I get to see him. We walked inside the beautiful compound and there was a nice garden area, a small chapel, a grotto, lots of trees and grass fields...he then showed us the  patio and the house. I was imagining our friends gathering in the patio for a reunion, even the grass field area is big enough to host lots of people. His house, next to the church was very nice. They have a nice kitchen and a nice dining room, and a living room with a fireplace (I just want to sit there a read books...lol). I believe there were several priests that were living there...we met some of them. His new place was a big difference from his more simple home at The Catholic Center in Rutgers. But despite his recent nicer living conditions, he never forgot about the poor and living simply. After that we went out and chatted a bit. He said he will be going ahead of the students to prepare the place for them and assign them houses and families. Being an avid cycling fan myself, we talk about biking together, he said that he likes to bike around the area for exercise and buying groceries. He said, that is his form of exercise to keep up with the physical activities in the DR and with the students. He also did say that it will be his last trip to the DR...maybe he knows something that I dont, but I dont see any sadness in his face, he was more excited to go and could not wait to leave for his last mission. After that, we said our goodbyes and wishing him well for his last trip, but instead of the normal handshake...I felt the urge to hug him...for the last time...maybe I was feeling it too...that it would be our last meeting...and so there goes Fr. Ron...

We love you Fr. Ron...pray for us in heaven. And please whisper to Jesus that we love Him. Till we meet again...

15 comments:

  1. Excellent...he was down to earth that Fr. Ron and he always had that smile. I loved him and will miss him too. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the last time you saw my brother. We were all blessed to have him in our lives, c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear C,
    Thanks be to God for your brothers wonderful life and testimony. Our lives are forever changed because of Fr. Ron.
    Love, tinkererdad

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was indeed a wonderful person. He will be missed by many. I am grateful for having had him in my life. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your last memory of my beloved cousin & gentle priest brought tears to my eyes. I'm happy you had the chance to see him one last time; so am I. I will cherish that memory.
    God bless & keep praying for his sisters.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your visit sounds like one of many I have had with Fr. Ron over the years... I first came to know Fr. Ron at Rutgers in 1997 and have stayed in touch since. I have had the great fortune of traveling and working with him in the Dominican Republic 6 times. My mom and I continued to shop for many of those precious little items that are so needed there, and would meet up with Fr. Ron to pass along those donations, just as you described. He has been a friend and mentor, and even joined with my husband and me to concelebrate our wedding. Just like many others, I will certainly miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found out about Fr Stanley's death. I had emailed him over the last dozen years or so because I borrowed from his many online articles about Catholicism for my RCIA and Catechism classes. Does anyone know where those articles are now? He used to move his online stash of them each time he moved to a new college. Contact me at chrisleb1@aol.com with any info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christian, not sure if his articles from rutgers and ramapo are still up, however his bridges pages are still up in dominican college. If i find anything else i will let you know. God bless.
      http://www.dc.edu/bridges.aspx#.UQC9-0e9KK0

      Delete
  8. Father Ron was my best friend while at Ramapo. I just found out he's gone! I did a search hoping to see him in the next few weeks and now my heart is broken. I should've looked for him sooner. He was/is my favotire person in the whole world. Life gets so busy some times, and time goes by so fast that I failed to make the time to see him and now he's gone. Can someone tell me where he is burried, please? Fr. Ron, I'm sorry that we didn't hang out more, please know that I always thought of you, even if we didn't always speak. with Love,
    Susell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, we were all taken by surprise. He died of leukemia, and it took him really quickly. We were all heart broken by his death. He's such a good man, priest and friend. It was really difficult attending his funeral I pray that God will give you the peace in your heart. I am sure that Fr. Ron is praying for you in heaven right now.

      You can visit his grave in this address:
      All Souls Cemetery
      175 Marble Ave
      Pleasantvile, NY
      914-769-0025

      His grave is on the far right side on the cemetery. If you are facing the cemetery, there are two gates, go to the right gate, and his grave is on the far right corner of the cemetery. God bless.

      Delete
  9. I grew up in new York when father stanley was in St Rita's he was great trips to lake George swimming lessons , movies, help my family with coats and things we needed in winter the youth group so glad I got to see him a few years ago when he came down to Florida and we had dinner with my cousin and spent some time talking about our childhood which included him in every way we did our communion our confirmation birthday parties where I have pictures of father Stanley in every event he will be missed to a great man

    ReplyDelete
  10. Father Ron was an amazing man who played an important role in my life since I was 16. He married me and in all honestly saved me from myself a few time.. I will forever be grateful to him and miss him more than words could ever express but I am blessed because he was in my life and know he is in heaven. god bless you Father Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does anyone know if the Bridges Program is still running and if so, who we could contact to make a donation in memory of Father Ron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      Im not 100% sure if the bridges program has been continued after his passing away. What i heard during his funeral is they planned to go one last time to DR because there were many items that has yet to be distributed and to tell them he passed away. Best to call Dominican College or Church of Nativity in Midland Park, NJ. Hope this helps. God bless, tinkererdad

      Delete