Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Jesus summoned His twelve disciples

Today's Readings - http://usccb.org/bible/readings/071112.cfm

For today's sharing I would like to focus on the commissioning of the twelve disciples and reflect on that with my personal experience. Last Friday, we were blessed during mass as "Committed Disciples" in our prayer group and its the first thing that came up in my head. Prior to commissioning they gave us a piece of paper to sign on. I took it seriously...why? It has several items on it that I would have to do and most importantly it has Gods name in it. While the "To do" list doesn't have anything that is opposed to the teachings of the Catholic Church, signing your name with Gods name in it is a serious business. I prayed about it for a week, offered it at mass...and then come Friday...the day of commissioning...we haven't signed the papers yet! I had questions in my head..."What if I don't get to do one of the things listed on the paper? Am I doomed?" Knowing what I know now about the Scriptures and Salvation History, calling upon Gods name is no joke...and should not be taken lightly. So before I signed, I prayed (so hard)...but with my eyes blindfolded and some fear (just a little bit)...meaning I do not know what lies ahead, I just trust that God will lead me and my wife to wherever He wants us to be...and so we signed!

And so the evening comes...I felt that all the readings and the songs and the sermon are all pointing at me! They are all saying one thing! FOLLOW ME! I mean come on...the gospel reading from Matthew last Friday has it. "He said to him, 'Follow me.' And he got up and follow Him" (Matthew 9:9). And the newly ordained priest said something that struck me the most..."The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called". I heard that before...but this time it strikes me to the heart. After that I felt as if I wanted to put a sackcloth on my head and mourn for my unbelief. But God is merciful. All of a sudden God reminded me of how faithful He is throughout the entire Salvation History (this is where reading the Bible comes alive...in times like this) and through friends...He reminded me that no matter what we face, His hand is always there, "For the battle is the Lord's" (1 Samuel 17:47)...it is not ours to begin with. He will make His name known through us, and they will see that it's the Lord that is ever present in us. And it is inevitable that we will fail and we will commit sin at times, but we must have the courage to stand up, repent and trust in His mercy through Jesus Christ our Savior. "Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Cor 12:10)

So trust in the Lord, even if it seems impossible...just look in the Bible...every single one of the called person are sinners, they felt unworthy, they felt they don't have the talent, they doubted...but once they put their trust in the Lord...mighty things happened! It's possible through us you know...just have faith!

Jesus loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment