Friday, December 24, 2010

Bicycle DIY: How to cut a steerer tube (on a dime)

I got a bike fork that is taken out of a brand new bike. The steerer tube was too long for my setup, so I had to cut at least 10mm off from the steel tube. I didn't want to spend and arm and a leg for a tool, even the cutting guide is expensive (about 15 to 20 bucks plus shipping). So I looked around the garage for something that I could use as a guide to cut this thing with a hacksaw. Then I saw that I had a spare clamp used for attaching a copper pipe to a ground. It was adjustable, so it was perfect for the 1 1/8 inch tube. So I made my mark on the tube, put the clamp on and started cutting. 


I don't know why Rock Shox decided to use steel tube on an air fork. The Dart 3 version uses an aluminum tube. Took me a while to cut the steel tube. It was cold in the garage, but this thing was giving me a sweat. I took it as a mini work out.


The ghetto guide clamp works perfectly, The cut was straight. The hack saw was gliding next to it. It took me about 15 minutes (with break) to cut the small piece. Next thing to do is to file the edge to make it smooth.


This was fairly easy to do. Would be easier on an aluminum tube. If I remember correctly the copper clamp was about 5 dollars at Home Depot. This clamp definitely saved me money...I hope someone will find this helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment