Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The eyes are the window of the soul

I did not watch the most recent fight of Manny Pacquiao, nor did I discuss or talk about it. I'm not being a stuck up or being a snob or being un-patriotic. I know a lot of filipinos take pride in Manny Pacquiao. However, I thought about it, and I could not bear to watch a man being beat up by another man...to win...and to make money, I just did not have any interest in watching another game anymore. I was trying to think of Scripture passages that would justify this type of sport, and the only thing I can find is in the Old Testament, when Jacob wrestled with God or an angel (depending on the translation). However, this was an encounter that teaches divine revelation, not just to beat each other up.


I found this article and it pretty much explains what I have in mind (and heart). It is true what the psalmist say "The eyes are the windows of the soul". What you feed your eyes, affects you and your soul in very profound way, in some ways you become what you watch. It all goes the same to the type of movies or TV shows you watch or identify with, books you read, music you listen to...etc.


Click on this link for the article >>> The Uneasy Conscience of a Boxing Trainer


The last time I watched one of his game, I felt this excitement, rush, my heart was beating fast, and I kept praying that the other guy would lose or be knocked out. But then I realized, is this spectacle leading me closer to God? And that is when it all came down to me...the big answer was "No".
I'm not saying that Manny Pacquiao is a bad person, or any of you who watched or watching those type of games are a bad person. But my challenge to you is this. Is it leading you closer to God? Is it leading you to love your neighbor as yourself? Think about it.


Jesus loves you

No comments:

Post a Comment