Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts


http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/091912.cfm

I think the answer to todays world of secularization, indifference and unbelief is the miraculous. People these days don't see the miraculous fruits of the Holy Spirit anymore. Some people, even those active in the church don't believe it either. Some think that those mighty deeds done in the "Acts of the Apostles" are past history and some consider them myths (I was once guilty of that).

After attending the Life in the Spirit Seminar last year, I found myself reading the Acts of the Apostles, and I was so amazed at what the early church did during those times. They were healing the sick, casting out demons, speaking in tounges, prophesying, receiving visions...and all those migthy works of the Holy Spirit. When was the last time you see that in our day and age? I mean we are not even in awe of the presence of Jesus in the eucharist, how much more are we going to be in awe of the works of the Holy Spirit? I feel that we are putting the Holy Spirit on the leash. We let the Holy Spirit loose when we are in prayer meeting or worship and then we put Him on the leash when we are outside of the church. It's like living a double lifestyle. How do you suppose the Holy Spirit can work through you if the only time you are charismatic is if you are in your prayer group?

The first reading today especially the 1 Cor 13 has been used as a reading in so many weddings I have attended. If we read it in context, it is not just talking about love, it is also talking about the gifts (charisms). It is talking about love and the gifts working hand and hand, it didn't say to ignore the gifts. St. Paul even said on that line specifically saying "Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts". It says "Strive eagerly"...I can't emphasize anymore than St. Paul did.

So let us ask ourselves...Have I been at anytime, put the Holy Spirit on the leash? Did I ever doubt God or held the Holy Spirit by saying "It's not my thing" or "I don't have it" (Rev 3:16)? Did I strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts? Do I believe in the miraculous anymore?

The early church got it right! Let us follow their example. Make love our aim and strive for the greatest spiritual gifts...then we can say to this mountain..."Move" and it shall move! Let us be bold in our faith!

"I want to cry out: Be open and docile to the gifts of the Spirit! Accept with gratitude and obedience the charisms that the spirit never ceases to bestow" - Blessed Pope John Paul II

Jesus loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment